Thursday, June 11, 2015

Day 1: Still no sunburn!

Greetings from la Parroquia Santisimo Sacramento!

I'm going to have to be blunt here: it's only been one day, but I'm really struggling. I have a tendency to both oversimplify grand plans and overestimate my ability (a lethal and humbling combination). My last memories of Piura and of the parish are fond--filled with friends, sunshine and good food (also, weirdly, the deaths of Michael Jackson and Farrah Fawcett). I remember the sense of community and purpose on a grander scale and with a glossier filter than the day-to-day challenges of the work we do. I'm having a hard time trudging through the abject poverty, smells and lack of hot water that I thought would be old hat (or at least as old hat as can be expected). It's also really freaking hot, I'm withdrawing from caffeine and oh yeah, we don't know anyone here or have a strong grasp on the language. What the heck were we thinking?!

That escalated more quickly than I had planned. Sorry.

Several things at the parish have changed over the last 6 years, and since I have your rapt attention, I will share. The most profound development is perhaps the advent of wifi at the parish. The internet, as we all know, has its pros and cons.

PROS: We have been able to facetime Grandpa and Dad. We can text Erin. We are able to easily check our e-mail for family updates. We can blog!

CONS: It is harder to be present. Since I started composing this e-mail, I have checked my e-mail, watched a Huffington post video on how to cut a large round cake and scrolled through instagram photos of Johnny Weir's dogs. Twice. I'm contemplating setting some rules for myself regarding internet use. We will see how that goes. Right now it's a crutch and really how else is everyone I know going to see how much better a time I am having in life than them?

Other things that have changed include an expansion of the parish property (more gathering space and sleeping quarters) and taller trees. The former is more of an adjustment than the latter, as there are currently 70 volunteers at the parish. Mom and I are lucky enough to just have each other as roommates (bunk bed/ camp style). It's much different being here as a duo than as a group, but we are working on assimilating.

The one thing that has not changed is the incredible hospitality of the staff. From the moment we were picked-up from the airport, we have been treated with nothing but wholehearted graciousness and hugs. We've already been able to connect with 7 workers with whom I interacted last trip, and they are patient, kind and all that is right with the world. They also deal with our broken spanish, so they are saints!

Today we spent the morning working at the parish hospice- the Hospicio de Los Angelos, donated in memory of a man from Wisconsin. Having just spent so much time at St. V's, the juxtaposition of the resources of the respective medical facilities is stark. The one nurse who works there full time is responsible for the cleaning, cooking, feeding and daily cares of the patients-- two of whom remain from my time in 2009.

We had this afternoon off, and were able to do some exploring in downtown Piura. The two of us stood out like a sore thumb, but made it to supermarket and cathedral without getting too lost :) Tonight we attended Mass and had Papa Johns pizza. Really. One of the high school groups is leaving so a party was thrown for all volunteers and the girls at a local boarding school, garlic dipping sauce and all!

We feel like we've lived a hundred lives today. And right now, I really just want my mom. Luckily, she's here!

Buenas noches,
Kate

2 comments:

  1. Very nice Kathleen, informative, fun and profound. We miss you. Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. This blog is my required reading for the next two months. So interesting. I am learning a lot.

    ReplyDelete