Friday, July 10, 2015

Week 5

Good Morning!
Seems a good time to blog as we do not have internet to distract us. Internet and water seem to work on their own will. But who am I to complain because we do, most of the time, have both. We also have a dry comfortable bed to sleep in, electricity, friends around to converse with and three meals a day. We are living a very gracious life compared to the villages around us.

Thinking of the villages around us, I cannot help but compare the two villages I experienced these past few months. In March, Ken and I and the girls went to The Villages in Florida. They are beautiful with well manicured lawns, spacious rooms decorated with style and are full of life and activity. Their polar opposite counter parts are on the outskirts of Puira. They are dark, on dusty dirt roads, adjacent to their neighbor, are poorer than you can imagine and have no activities for the children. Doesn't seem fair.

The first few weeks I was here, I often asked myself what was I thinking that I could be gone for 6 weeks living among such poverty and heartache. I also thought "What is God thinking?" (I still haven't figured that one out.) After time, I settled in and am now comfortable and actually thinking about coming again. We have continually met people/groups who come year after year. Most have adopted families through the Family to Family program and have established close relationships with them. They support them through the food donation, but also provide for many of their other needs. Some even have had children named after them. I believe I will come back some day...maybe after Ken retires.

Also, to be honest, I was quite disenchanted with the daily 7:00 mass. Since I know so little spanish, I got very little out of it. However, Padre does an excellent job of slipping in and out of spanish/english during his homily. You have to be listening carefully to realize he has switched languages. But now, I enjoy the masses. I love the music (often with guitars, keyboard and drums) and the feeling of camaraderie among the 'missionarias' as we are called. It is a great time for me to reflect on what I have seen/done during the day and come to terms that life is not fair. Some days that is easier than other days.

This morning, Kathleen and I are touring a larger hospital than the one near us. I am hoping it is better equipped, more sanitary and has a larger staff than the one we have seen. This afternoon, we are delivering food which has come to be our 'go to' job. As difficult as it was the first day we did it, I have come to understand how much it means to the families.

We are saying good by to our favorite group of people today... the Marquette Nurses. They have embraced us as part of their group (it is hard to be here as a twosome) and we have come to love every one of them. They are the sweetest, hardest working, kindest group of college students I have ever met. They made us feel part of a whole (due in part to Kathleen's affiliation and affection for Marquette).
Vaya con dios.

For now,
Cathy (and Kathleen)

2 comments:

  1. Nicely said Cathy. As your time begins to wind down, you seem to be truly embracing the place. You're a good person.

    ReplyDelete