Thursday, June 23, 2016

#Tangry (Tired and angry)

It's midnight on Thursday and I am awake because I am angry. I'm angry that two friends of ours no longer work at the parish for reasons I don't understand. I'm angry with the other volunteers for attitudes and beliefs outside of my control. I'm angry about the circumstances we witness day in and day out, and I am angry at the system that perpetuates them. But most of all I am angry with myself.

My latest emotional outburst has been triggered by an argument with my mom. The fact that we are 3 adults staying in a room smaller than my childhood bedroom, in a foreign country, and being forced to face our physical and intellectual limitations on a daily basis, has compounded these emotions to the point that I am seeking refuge in a LED screen at this late hour.

When my dad resurrected the blog, I really had no intention of making much of a contribution. We are only here for one week, I felt like I had already said what I had to say about my time here, and I have a proclivity for babbling (see previous posts re: incoherent tears). But tonight I'm pretty irritated, and it took me about 2 hours too long to realize that the person I am most upset with is myself.

At the risk of sounding trite, this week has been a whirlwind. I knew it would be. But I also knew where to set my expectations: I knew the area, I knew the staff, I knew people staying at the parish. I knew at least conversational Spanish. I knew the level of poverty to expect and both my role and inability to make it anything other than what it is. What I didn't know is how much I had forgotten.

It's easy to idealize things after they have happened. To package them up in a nice little box and remember them the way you choose. And to some extent I must have done that with my time here. Sure I got frustrated by my lack of command of the language—I was desperate in my desire to connect with the staff and with the people of Piura. Sure I was regularly irritated by some of the other volunteers that came down—their lack of awareness, sense of superiority and competitive possessiveness made me cranky on a semi-regular basis. Sure I remember coming home on many days and literally sobbing about what I had seen. But what I had forgotten was how much it all hurts.

And I am so angry at myself for forgetting. I'm angry with myself for letting my time in Piura be just my time in Piura—a neat summer before I re-started my real life in New York. I'm angry for letting myself believe that this is just a small part of my life that I can remember when it's convenient and when I have accrued 1 week of vacation. I'm angry for letting myself think that just because I spent a couple of summers here, I am friends with these people that I truly love but with whom I cannot fully communicate. And now I am angry at myself in advance, knowing that the literally starving 2 year old that I was heartbroken about yesterday may be a distant memory in a week.

I'm also angry at myself for not being fully present. For letting stressors of work, too much company, and that ever-persistent fear of bed bugs shadow the little time I have down here (living in the city has done nothing to normalize my anxieties on the latter). I'm angry and disappointed in myself for the frequency with which I check e-mail, Instagram and snapchat. And I'm angry with the lack of reliable internet to do the things I will eventually be angry about.

To top it all off, I'm angry about being angry. Contrary to what this post might imply, I actually hate being angry. It is my least favorite emotion. I think this is because it deals with one of my other least favorite things in the world: confrontation. To get over being angry, one has to confront whatever it is that is causing the emotion (if you know of any other way, I'm open to suggestions. See above re: avoiding confrontation).

Tonight I only have the energy to acknowledge that I am angry. Tomorrow I will work out the rest. 

Kathleen

Ps. It is worth noting that as I type, a nun who is staying at the compound just came by to say good night. I can't help but wonder what anger issues are keeping her awake at this late hour.

Pps. I just re-read for grammar and am already angry that I took Benadryl before deciding to word vomit. Re-structuring will have to wait until tomorrow.


1 comment:

  1. Oh, Kathleen, you are such a truly good human (I purposely said human) that it is hard to accept the inequallities in this world. Don't ever stop caring, but don't stop the life you have with your friends and family.

    ReplyDelete